B-2 Visitor Visa


Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for tourism, pleasure or visiting (visa category B-2). Here are some examples of activities permitted with a visitor visa:

  • tourism

  • vacation (holiday)

  • visit with friends or relatives

  • medical treatment

  • participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations

  • participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating

  • enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

    Additional Information


  • Visitors are not permitted to accept employment or work in the United States.

  • We cannot guarantee that you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.

  • Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date.  Therefore, a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.